What To Wear
8 Tips for Getting Photographed and Looking Your Best
- Wear solid colors that are muted and a bit subdued. Subtle patterns in suits and collared shirts will be fine (avoid wearing solid white clothing aside from your lab coat)
- Your headshot will be cropped just above the chest area, but if you are needing a full length photo then wear similar tones for your top and bottom (both dark or both light)
- For groups, choose one to three colors for your group portrait, ones with similar tones that go nicely together and have everyone work within that color palette. For example: dark green, navy, and burgundy – all dark jewel tones. OR tan, a lighter olive green, and denims – all lighter, softer tones
- Choose a top that has short sleeves or longer (sleeveless not recommended)
- Use a professional and conservative approach when finding an outfit
- Keep jewelry simple
- Ladies, choose undergarments that will not show through sheer or lightweight fabric
- Men, a fresh shave is recommended unless you are okay with your 5 o‘clock shadow
- Keep haircuts to three days prior in order to allow a natural look
- Most importantly, relax! We will shoot several frames, giving you a variety of choices of poses and expressions. It's our job to make sure your hair looks right, your tie is straight and so forth. Enjoy your session and leave the worrying to us!
What is the best way to get to your studio?
Our photography studio is located on Floyd Curl Dr. in the Dental School behind the Briscoe Library. The address is 7703 Floyd Curl Dr. San Antonio, TX 78229. Through the main entrance close to the metered parking, take the main hallway towards the back then go right at the fork. You will see our Creative Media Services sign.
There is metered parking in the front or Zone II reserved and unreserved parking to the side.
How long will my session be?
Most studio portrait sessions are about 15 to 30 minutes. You can find more information on various appointment durations on our booking page.
What should I wear?
Men: Standard business look is a suit jacket, dress shirt and tie. Casual business can include a jacket and dress shirt, a shirt and tie without jacket, or a dress shirt on it’s own. For a casual look without jacket, colored shirts look best but white or black can work too. Generally, clothes that are comfortable, fit well, and are neatly pressed always look great. Avoid busy patterns and large lines/stripes. Colored accents (like a tie or pocket square) can help add color or even complement colored eyes.
Women: Generally have a little bit more flexibility – standard business look is a jacket and a collared or collarless shirt/blouse. An open neckline can be quite flattering. Plain colors work well – blue, green, wine and purple are universally nice. Avoid big prints, busy patterns and large lines/stripes. For a casual look without jacket, colored shirts look best but white or black can work too. Generally, clothes that are comfortable, fit well, and are neatly pressed always look great. Keep jewelry small and simple – or it may distract from your face.
What can I expect at my session?
In every session we shoot a variation of “sides”, angles and expressions. Afterwards we will sit down together and choose your favorite image. Your session price includes one digital file, each additional file is $10.
What can I expect after my session?
For studio portraits, our turn around time is about 5 business days. You can expect a downloadable link with your digital file through email within this time frame. We also offer expedited turn around of 2 days for a fee.
Please email us before your session at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any more questions.
"The photographer was very friendly and helpful! She really cared about making sure I was comfortable and liked my photo."
"[She] was great! She knew what she was doing and she was efficient!"
"The whole team that I worked with were fantastic and very knowledgeable. I look forward to next year."
"Quick, courteous and professional, [She] does a wonderful job!" -Mark